Lauren and JJ celebrate the start of the podcast's third season with an in-depth episode about compassion fatigue in the veterinary profession. What is it? Who is at risk? What are the symptoms? Find out here!
- American Veterinary Medical Association. (2021). Assess your wellbeing. Retrieved August 28, 2021. https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/wellbeing/assess-your-wellbeing
- Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project. (2021). Retrieved August 24, 2021, from https://compassionfatigue.org/index.html
- Fonken, L. (2019). A view from the edge: Understanding the challenges to veterinary wellbeing. 2019 Pacific Veterinary Conference Proceedings. http://www.vin.com
- Teater, M. & Ludgate, J. (2014). Overcoming compassion fatigue: A practical resilience workbook. PESI Publishing & Media.
- Nett, R. J., Witte, T. K., Holzbauer, S. M., Elchos, B. L., Campagnolo, E. R., Musgrave, K. J., Carter, K. K., Kurkjian, K. M., Vanicek, C., O’Leary, D. R., Pride, K. R., & Funk, R. H. (2015). Notes from the field: Prevalence of risk factors for suicide among veterinarians – united states, 2014. Morbidity and mortality weekly report, 64(6), 159.
- Tomasi, S. E., Fechter-Leggett, E. D., Edwards, N. T., Reddish, A. D., Crosby, A. E. & Nett, R. J. (2019). Suicide among veterinarians in the united states from 1979 through 2015. Journal of the american veterinary medical association, 254(1), 104-112. https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/10.2460/javma.254.1.104
- Witte, T. K., Spitzer, E. G., Edwards, N., Fowler, K. A. & Nett, R. J. (2019). Suicides and deaths of undetermined intent among veterinary professionals from 2003 to 2014. Journal of the american veterinary medical association, 255(5), 595-608. https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/10.2460/javma.255.5.595
- Stone, D., Holland, K., Bartholow, B., Crosby, A., Davis, S. & Wilkins, N. (2017). Preventing suicide: A technical package of policy, programs, and practices. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/suicideTechnicalPackage.pdf
- Lee, E., Daugherty, J., Eskierka, K. & Hamelin, K. (2019). Compassion fatigue and burnout, one institution’s interventions. Journal of perianesthesia nursing, 34(4), 767-773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2018.11.003
- Sullivan, S. & Germain, M. (2020). Psychosocial risks of healthcare professionals and occupational suicide. Industrial and commercial training, 52(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1108/ICT-08-2019-0081
- Kleiner, S. & Wallace, J. E. (2017). Oncologist burnout and compassion fatigue: Investigating time pressure at work as a predictor and the mediating role of work-family conflict. BMC health services research, 17, 639. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2581-9
- Joinson C. (1992). Coping with compassion fatigue. Nursing, 22(4), 116-121.
- Dowling T. (2018). Compassion does not fatigue! The Canadian veterinary journal, 59(7), 749–750.
- Klimecki, O. & Singer, T. (2011). Empathic distress fatigue rather than compassion fatigue? Integrating findings from empathy research in psychology and social neuroscience. In: Oakley, B., Knafo, A. & Madhavan, G., et al., editors. Pathological Altruism. New York, New York: Oxford University Press; 2011. pp. 1–23. DOI:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199738571.003.0253
- Alvis, D. (2020). Compassion fatigue: Certification training for healthcare, mental health and caring professionals. PESI, Inc.