Lauren and JJ share some important clinical updates including a study about client perception of veterinary attire, guidelines from the FDA regarding veterinary drug compounding, updates for appropriate patient cooling in heatstroke cases, and the use of continuous glucose monitoring in diabetic cases.
References and Resources:
- The study on veterinary attire: E. Bentley, H. Kellihan, C. Longhurst, & R. Chun. (2020). Effect of attire on client perceptions of veterinarians. The Veterinary Journal, 265(1), 105550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2020.105550
- VIN News article on the FDA guidelines for veterinary drug compounding: Lau, E. (April 21, 2022). FDA finishes veteirnary drug compounding guidance at last. VIN News Service. https://news.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=210&Id=10904160
- Link to the FDA document, "Compounding Animal Drugs from Bulk Drug Substances:" https://news.vin.com/apputil/image/handler.ashx?docid=10887416
- Link to the FDA document, "List of Bulk Drug Substances for Compounding Office Stock Drugs for Use in Nonfood-Producing Animals:" https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-drug-compounding/list-bulk-drug-substances-compounding-office-stock-drugs-use-nonfood-producing-animals
- Link to the FDA's information regarding reporting adverse drug events, including Form 1932a: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/animal-drug-compounding/list-bulk-drug-substances-compounding-office-stock-drugs-use-nonfood-producing-animals
- Sources for heatstroke clinical updates: (1) Wells RJ: Environmental emergencies. Western Veterinary Conference Proceedings. February 2012, 19-23. Las Vegas, NV. https://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5604141&pid=11348& (2) Brashear M: Canine heat stroke – Keeping your cool. Pacific Veterinary Conference Proceedings. June 2019, 21-24. Long Beach, CA. https://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=9048897&pid=23140& (3) Carr M: The Pathophysiology and Treatment of Heat Stroke. International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium 2003. https://beta.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3848363&pid=11162& (4) Bruchim Y: Canine Heatstroke: Patient Management. International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium 2016. https://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=7480469&pid=15793& (5) Waxman C: Temperature extremes: From hypothermia to heatstroke. New York Vet Show Proceedings. November 2019, 7-8. New York, NY. https://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=9319962&pid=23658& (6) Hemmelgarn C, Gannon K: Heatstroke: clinical signs, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. . Compend Contin Educ Vet 2013 Vol 35 (7) pp. E3. https://beta.vin.com/members/cms/document/default.aspx?objecttypeid=2&template=articleview&objectid=1930137&said=1
- Source for clinical updates regarding continuous blood glucose monitoring in diabetic patients: Lathan, P. A. (2021). Monitoring diabetic dogs and cats. Southwest Veterinary Symposium 2021 Proceedings.
- Link to Patty Lathan's video on continous glucose monitor application in companion animals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkcjpdxtKY